Today our respondent is the head of the Department of Surgery of the clinic “New Life” of National Center of Surgery, Jaba Babaevi
Jaba Babaevi finished Tbilisi State Medical University, also completed a medical internship program at Mtskheta Hospital-Polyclinic Compound. He’s a general surgeon, onco-surgeon, laparoscopic and bariatric surgeon. He’s been working as the head of the Department of Surgery at the clinic “New Life” of National Center of Surgery since 2018.
- When and why did you choose your profession and the particular field you work in?
- I’ve been interested in this profession ever since my school years when I started to study chemistry, biology, and anatomy in high school. At first, I’ve loved these classes, whereas afterward I've developed an interest in medicine, in particular, surgery and had a desire to work in this field.
- What does it mean to be a doctor for you?
-Being a doctor means a lot of things for me. Medicine is part of my life. I cannot even imagine my daily life without this profession.
- What is the greatestwish and goal you’d like to achieve in your professional career?
- I strongly want robotic surgery to establish in Georgia and become, if not pioneer, then one of the first ones to participate in the development of this field.
- What advice would you give to those who are choosing their profession now?
- Love the path you take and don’t be reluctant to work. It’s impossible any other way because this is a field that requires an immense amount of studies, work and will, it's not feasible to achieve success in this sphere without these.
- What do you think about the latest challenge to medicine – COVID 19?
- I think the world will overcome this virus soon, albeit, we have to follow recommendations as much as possible and not only take care of our health and lives, but others as well because it's a fact that we'll have to coexist with COVID19.
- How do you see the development of your field even in 10 years?
- Surgery and generally, medicine is a field that constantly develops, therefore the progress is significantly great in this sphere. I think fields such as laparoscopic and bariatric surgery will be even more developed, also various modifications of bariatric surgery will become more sophisticated in 10 years.
Wish you health!